Involuntary urination or Urinary Incontinence (UI), is a common medical condition affecting millions of Americans, 85% of whom are women. Pregnant women or women who recently gave birth may experience bouts of UI due to weakened pelvic muscles. It is also common in the elderly, developing from relaxed muscles or menopausal conditions in women, and prostate surgery, spinal cord injuries, certain prescribed medications and even caffeine intake in men.
There are several types of incontinence, including:
1. Stress incontinence, which is leakage of small amounts during exercise, or while coughing or sneezing.
2. Functional incontinence, which is due to physical or mental disabilities such as Alzheimer’s or stroke, that prevents a person from reaching a restroom in time.
3. Urge incontinence, also called ‘overactive’ or ‘spastic’ bladder, causes urine loss during sleep or at the urge to urinate. It is caused by damage to the nervous system or to bladder nerves or muscles and is common for people with Alzheimer’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease.
4. Overflow incontinence, most common in men, is caused by a bladder that is always full and leaks. A blocked urethra, weak bladder muscles and damaged nerves from certain diseases like Diabetes can cause overflow incontinence.
5. Transient incontinence is temporary UI due to an illness or infection that will pass, like a urinary tract infection.
Many types of incontinence can be treated, with pelvic and kegel exercises, bladder training, medication or surgery. Consult your doctor for education and treatment. And for incontinence medical supplies, come to Allegro. We have everything you need.
Protect beds, chairs, car seats and other surfaces with underpads. They are highly absorbent and will not irritate even the most sensitive skin. They are available in various sizes, in disposable or wash-and-reusable. Tuckable underpads cover the width of a mattress and can be tucked under, to stay in place. The reusable chair pad is velour covered, perfect for chair and wheelchair seat protection.
Help your child to stop wetting his or her bed with the latest in bedwetting alarm devices. Available as an under sheet device or compact to fit inside the pajamas. Just a few drops of urine sounds an alarm to wake the child.
Adult briefs and undergarments for incontinence provide super absorbency. They pull on and off like regular underwear, and some have convenient tear away sides, others have re-fastenable tapes. Sold by the case for extra value. Incontinence pads fit securely onto underwear and provide protection, for light, medium, heavy and super absorbency. A drip collector for men who are post prostate surgery is more discreet and comfortable than undergarments, and is perfect for minor incontinence. Mesh pants provide cool support for pads, keeping them in place while allowing air in.
To soothe sore, irritated skin from incontinence, sween cream is a non-occlusive solution with vitamins A & D.
Keep the room fresh with odor eliminator in long lasting, fresh, clean scents used by healthcare institutions. Disposable washcloths are convenient and sanitary for incontinence issues and will help prevent skin irritation. Specially made for geriatric skin, and will even form a protective barrier on the skin to keep moisture out.
Be economical and create less wasted materials with reusable incontinence products like pull-on briefs for men and women, or washable underpads for the bed. Men’s boxer shorts have support for a pad. In small through x-large sizes.