Home Tags Posts tagged with "Arthritis"
With summer in full swing, more people take advantage of the warm temperatures and increasing their physical activity. Whether running/walking, gardening, or even taking the family on a picnic, the last thing anyone needs are sore knees.
The source of pain can be related to arthritis, tendinitis, a sprain, or even bursitis to name a few reasons. Luckily, there are steps to take at home to decrease the discomfort. A few of these include1
- Avoid any weight bearing activities that could heighten the pain.
- Apply ice! Ice helps to reduce any swelling or inflammation by restricting blood vessels. This directly decreases the amount of fluid flowing into the injured tissues.
- Elevate- Keeping the knee propped up on the couch or a stool can help bring swelling down.
- Warm up- especially if your knee pain is sports related. It is also important to avoid downhills or running down stairs which increases the amount of weight/pressure applied to the knee.
- Make sure you are wearing appropriate shoes that are not only comfortable but provide enough support.
- Wear a knee band or another similar strap for support.
AllegroMedical.com carries a variety of icepacks and knee supports as well. A quality inexpensive pack is the Black Polyurethane ColPac. These cold packs range anywhere from 6.5”x11” in size all the way up to 12.5” x 18.5”.
After chilling for two hours, these packs will stay cold for up to 30 minutes. Always remember to place a barrier between your skin and the cold pack to prevent a burn.
If using ice or cold isn’t something you are too keen on, there are many soft goods available. One of the top selling knee bands is the Kneed-IT XM Magnetic Therapeutic Knee Band. With two strategically placed magnets, the support system works to gently absorb force at the knee. The magnets place subtle pressure along the medial (inner) and lateral (outer) soft tissues of the knee. One customer said “it is the most supportive knee brace I have ever worn” and would recommend it to a friend.
Be sure to check out all of Allegro Medical’s knee and cold therapy products. Remember, it is important to follow up with your primary care physician to evaluate the source of pain. They may also be able to prescribe an exercise or physical therapy program to further reduce the pain.
For more than 15 years, AllegroMedical.com has been the leading online distributor of home health and wellness products. Rely on Allegro Medical for all of your pain relief and other health and wellness supplies.
1“Knee Pain.” MedlinePlus. U.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 03 July 2013. <http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003187.htm>.
If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 1685 times . . . “If you, your loved one or your patient is having a hard time doing something for themselves or getting somewhere on their own, we probably have an adaptive product to help.”
Out of the 1600+ products in our Daily Living Aids Category, the ones listed below are our most popular – at least as of today anyway. Popularity can be fleeting so check back often. When you click on the category link, the products are automatically displayed in order of bestselling.
Top 10 Daily Living Aids
Aluminum Reacher with Magnetic Tip - Watch out, you may be expected to pick up after yourself if you own this reacher! Light in the hand and light on the wallet this aluminum reacher is affordable enough to keep one in every room.
See all Reachers
Toothette Plus Oral Swabs with Sodium Bicarbonate - Toothettes with sodium bicarbonate nutralize acidity in the mouth, remove debris and mucous and stimulate the gums. Refreshing for anyone who’s not able to brush. Another top Toothette is the Toothette Oral Swabs with Dentifrice – Mint Flavored
Shop all Sage Daily Living Aids
Long Reach Gardening Set + Arm Support Cuff - Reach those weeds with ease with a long handle ergonomic Easi-Grip cultivator, fork, trowel and hoe. Includes an arm support cuff. Ideal for all gardeners!
Shop all Hand Tools
Shop all Easi-Grip tools
Shop all Leisure Daily Living Aids
AZ-1 Portable Automotive Hand Control System - These Colours portable car hand controls are made for use on automatic transmission vehicles for drivers who don’t have the use of their legs. Use them if you’re planning a trip or using a rental car. They collapse for easy storage.
Shop all Automotive Aids
Shop all Colours Wheelchairs and Accessories
Big Lamp Switch - Who needs a clapper when you have a big lamp switch? This three-spoked knob makes turning on and off your lamp (fits most standard lamps) a lot easier. Great for arthritic hands. Spring for the pack of 3 if you have several lamps.
Shop all Around the House
Shop all Ableware
Transfer Board – Wood - This beautiful, smooth wood transfer board ensures a smooth transfer from wheelchair to chair, car, couch or toilet. Choose from various sizes and optional cutout handles for easy carrying and gripping. Holds up to 440 lbs.
Shop all Transfer Boards and Discs
Shop all DMI
UpEasy Lifting Cushion – UpLift Seat Assist - Gently sit and gently rise from your chair or sofa with this handy lifting cushion. Safe and easy to use, it will lift up to 80% of your body weight. Folds flat for easy transport and travel. Take it to church or the theatre!
Shop all Uplift Technologies
Deluxe Overbed Table - Adjusts from 30″ to 45″ with one hand for the optimal height to slurp your soup or work your cross-word puzzle in bed. Features a heavy duty frame and an oversized top. Holds up to 100 lbs. Now that’s some heavy stew!
Shop all Overbed Tables
Shop all Medline
BedCane Bed Rail - No matter which side of the bed you wake up on, this bed rail will be there to provide the support you need to get up and out. Great for fall prevention! Easily adjusts in height to fit your mattress on any size home or hospital bed. Buy one and we’ll throw in a FREE pocket organizer that fits over the bed rail. A hidey hole for all your goodies.
Swinging Door Hinge – Offset Door Hinges w/ Brass Finish - A brilliant and very affordable way to widen your doors an extra 2″ without remodeling. These swinging door hinges make way for wheelchairs and walkers (and maybe even that big piano you’re trying to move out of the parlor) by swinging the door completely clear of the opening.
Shop all DMI
There you have it folks - our Top 10 Most Popular Daily Living Aids as of… well, as of when I started writing this. Popularity changes and new products are added so check the Daily Living Aids category for today’s bestselling aids to daily living!
Thanks for your business. We appreciate your support.
Don’t let hand weakness stop you from living your life or doing the things you love. There are products specifically designed to allow you to get the job done even if you have a limited hand function – from gardening and golfing to cooking, playing cards or using scissors.
There are also hand exercisers that can help you strengthen your hands so that you can improve the grip you have. Golfers, baseball players and other sports players benefit by having the strongest grip possible - and save the rest of us from flying baseball bats and golf clubs!
Hand weakness or limited hand function can be related to many medical conditions – the more common ones being arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, MS, Quadriplegia and various myopathies and neuropathies. See all the products below that can help you regain or keep your independence.
Products for People with Limited Hand Function
Easi-Grip Gardening Tools - The ergonomic design makes these gardening tools ideal for gardeners of all ages and abilities. Each tool has a “soft feel” non-slip, angled handle that keeps your hand and wrist in a natural position. Pain-free gardening!
See all Easi-Grip Products
Bionic Gloves – Better grips for golfers and gardeners alike. Also works as a batting glove.
Scissors - Self opening scissors are designed for people with weak hands or wrists, or anyone unable to use conventional style scissors. Don’t forget the Scissors Stand!
Kitchen Aids - Knives, jar openers and kitchen utensils that all require less strength and dexterity than conventional products. How about a Good Grips Peeler, Cheese Slicer, Kitchen Grater or Spatula!
Grooming Aids – Groom yourself with the no-slip Table Top Finger Nail Clipper, Long Handled Hair Brush, Tube Squeezer, Hand Held Shower, Terry Soap Mitt and Long Handled Under-Toe Washer
Make your own pencil and utensil grips with Grippers or Color-Coded Handle Foam
Eating Aids – See our built-up handle eating utensils. Perfect for limited hand function or a weak grip.
Dressing Aids – Get Dressed with Zipper & Button Pullers and a Foam Grip Dressing Stick and Shoehorn
Playing Card Holders - Much easier than trying to hold multiple cards in one hand.
Look around the site. There are sure to be more great products to increase your independence. Scroll through all Daily Living Aids and Personal Care
We hope you have a flexible and pain free day! And thanks for your orders. We appreciate your business.
I’m so used to automated restrooms that sometimes I forget and hold my hands under my own bathroom faucet, waiting for the water to come on! It slays me.
Now we can all go hands-free at home or the office with everything from automated soap dispensers, faucets and toilet flushers to trashcans and paper towel dispensers.
Besides giving a new meaning to “Look Ma! No hands!”, these automated products are ideal for homes with kids or elders, people with limited hand function, modern homes, office buildings, medical offices, schools, day-care facilities and nursing homes. They also make great gifts.
Allegro Medical’s Automated Products
Touch-Free Sensor Soap Dispenser – Stainless Steel- 100% hands free. Our most popular touchless product, this elegant, durable soap dispenser reduces contact with germs and delivers an exact dose of soap, detergent, lotion or gel every time. Works beautifully with any kitchen or bath decor.
Sensor Flush – Automatic Toilet Flusher - Convert your tank-style toilet into a touchless, germ free toilet in just 5 minutes. Batteries are included and they last up to 23,000 flushes!
EZ Faucet Pro – Touchless Automatic Water Dispenser - Makes any existing sink faucet completely hands-free and automatic. Helps prevent the spread of flu and infectious diseases, plus conserves water by stopping water when it is not in use. Touch-free sensor activation.
Touchless Recycle Bin – 16 gallon, 2-compartment recycle bin that opens and closes automatically with the latest sensor technology. Fits an 8 gallon trash bag in each compartment.
Towel-Matic Automatic Paper Towel Dispenser – Works perfectly with all brands and sizes of home paper towels. Guaranteed one-hand operation Makes tearing towel sheets easy and mess free!
Touchless Trashcan SX Silver – 14 Gallon – Create a germ free, odor free environment with an automated trash can. Get the latest sensor technology and a patented space saving lid opening design. New AC power adaptor is available to save on battery cost.
See all Touchless Trash Cans
Weather-Proof Fingerprint Recognition Door Locks- Everyone in your home or office has their own unique “key” that they’ll NEVER LOSE. Their fingerprints! Works with up to 150 fingerprint users and 78 passcode users. Easy to install, rugged, corrosion resistant steel.
See all iTouchless products
See all Around the House for more of Allegro Medical’s simplification products. We want to help make your life easier!
Listen up all you skiers, snowboarders, hunters, hikers, bikers, football fans, bird watchers and dog walkers. You too, you shivering-in-front-of-the-tv wrapped in a blanky people. You don’t have to be cold! With today’s technology and a little planning you can stay warm all winter long, inside and out.
Pick up extras to give as holiday gifts or stocking stuffers!
OUTDOOR Warming Products
Cold Weather Mask - Take the risk out of breathing cold air with this Arctic Fleece mask that warms the air you inhale, no matter how cold and dry it is. Enhanced with a particle filtering lining. Adjustable, washable, long lasting, rolls up for storage/packing. Effective in sub-zero weather.
SKWOOSH Stadium Gel Seat- Cradle and warm your buns as you cheer on your favorite team with this super thin, but extremely effective TekPad gel-filled Stadium Seat. Weighs only 7 ozs, folds to the size of a piece of paper, has 2 built-in carry handles and comes in Navy, Burgendy, Black or Green. Super value priced for everyone in the family and great for indoors or out. Made in the USA.. U..S…A!! Goooooo USA! (Practicing my cheers).
Allegro has everything from travel cushions to hunting cushions and Kayak Cushions! See all SKWOOSH Cushions and Seats.
Cold Condition Glove- These Ironclad cold weather gloves are designed to protect your hands from cold weather but allow for a high level of dexterity. Wicking material wicks away perspiration. Breathable, but resists water and oil. Non-slip reinforcements on palm and fingers for enhanced grip and abrasion-resistance. Neoprene at the cuff and knuckle. Machine washable.
Superfeet hot PINK Cold Weather Premium Insoles – Lady skiers and snow boarders, add these to your ski boots and you’ll be carving like a pro this season. Provides support, shock absorption, power transmission and edge control to tear up the slopes. Heat management for all-day comfort. Antimicrobial technology helps prevent foot odor. Men, we carry them for you too: Superfeet REDhot Cold Weather Premium Insoles.
Spa-N-A-Box Portable Spa- Nothing warms you more completely than a nice relaxing spa. Now you can have your own bubbling, whirling spa at a fraction of the cost of a traditional hot tub. Sets up in about 20 minutes, requires no tools, and plugs into a regular household outlet. Seats 4 to 5 people. Great gift for the family. Use it indoors or outdoors, on your patio or deck, in your condo or apartment, lakehouse, cabin or boat!
INDOOR Warming Products
Bed Buddy Foot Warmers with Aromatherapy – Just pop the reusable scent pack in the microwave for a minute and put them back in the fleece fabric boots for an hour of moist heat and warm feet! Lightly fragranced with clove, cinnamon and eucalyptus. For cold hands, try the Bed Buddy Hand Warmers or get everything, including the sinus pack in the Bed Buddy Heat Therapy Kit.
NatraCure Heat Therapy Mittens - Recommended for arthritis sufferers and hard working hands as a warming aid. One size fits most. Washable and reusable. Lightly scented. Disperses moisturizing mineral oils and Vitamin E to hydrate and nourish your skin. Microwave for 25 to 30 seconds to warm.
Bed Warmer - Placed at the bottom of the bed under the sheets, the Battle Creek Bed Warmer warms your legs and feet rather than the whole bed. Or, position warmth exactly where it feels best! Costs less to operate than an electric blanket.
Arthritis Gloves - Soft, breathable cotton lycra will make you want to wear these gloves day and night. Mild compression and warmth helps increase circulation and promote healing of arthritic, achy, painful, stiff hands. Great for working around the house or in the garden to keep your hands warm but your fingers free to feel, touch and grip.
Toasty Toes Personal Heater – Perfect for work or home, this “deluxe” footrest is thermostatically controlled to heat your feet and legs. Use in the office, study, basement, garage, porch, craft room you need to be seated or standing for a long time. Three positions. 6 foot cord plugs into any 110v outlet.
See all Cozy Heater Products
Dream Saks Airline Comfort Set - Travel in warmth and style with your own silk blanket, pillowcase and eye shades! Great for long air routes, trains, buses or cars. Rolls into its own 12″ bag and weighs less than a pound. Prefer cashmere over silk? Try the Dream Sak Luxury Travel Kit. A great gift for the traveler who has everything…
See all Dream Saks
Indoor or Outdoor Relief from Cold
Grabber Peel-n-Stick Adhesive Body Warmers - Standard equipment for anyone who enjoys outdoor cold weather activities. Widely used for soothing cold, sore joints and muscles as a result of Arthritis, Raynaud’s, Lupus, Scleroderma, Fibromyalgia or just poor circulation. 40 portable heating pads per box, one time use, disposable. Warms for 12+ hours. For cold feet and cold hands, use Grabber’s Foot Warmers and Grabber’s Hand Warmers. Get a case and divide them up for stocking stuffers or gifts for your team members and friends.
Wishing you and your family a nice warm winter. As always, thanks for your business. -v
Getting older is a blessing, for sure, but even longevity has its price. Creaky, sore joints. Sometimes when I stand up I sound like an old rocking chair making a bag of popcorn. And how about when it rains, or your hands get cold and you can barely bend your fingers? For some, these are just minor aches and pains, but for others they are the result of Osteoarthritis, or Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD) – the most common type of arthritis. There are many types of arthritis, some more debilitating than others.
Did you know that arthritis affects millions of Americans after the age 50 and women are more often effected by arthritis?
Arthritis is caused when the cartilage in the joint deteriorates over time, causing bones to rub against each other which causes stiffness, pain and loss of movement in the joint. Arthritis typically affects weight bearing joints such as hands, hips, knees and the spine. Unfortunately, there is no “cure” for arthritis, though there are many treatments and products that can relieve pain.
Here is a list of Allegro’s customers’s favorite arthritis remedies, arthritis aides and arthritis pain relief products.
10 Most Popular Arthritis Products
1. Biofreeze – The Biofreeze 4 oz Tube, Biofreeze Roll-on 3 oz , Biofreeze Spray and Biofreez Gel Pump all make on the first page of our Arthritis Products Page and gets very high ratings so it must be good. It is a long lasting topical analgesic & pain reliever that contains ILEX, an herbal extract from South America. See all Biofreeze.
2. Car Caddie Helping Hand – Need a little help getting in and out of the car? This is made just for you. Super popular and highly rated, we’ve sold thousands. Even works to help get kids in and out of your SUV or pickup. Also in the Top 10, a similar product called the Handybar 3 in 1 Car Aid. 5 star rating!
3.Neckpro Cervical Traction Device - At-home traction for relief of neck pain. Uses a unique ratcheting device that delivers a more precise amount of cervical traction tension than the old conventional overdoor neck traction systems. Similar to what you would experience in a clinical setting.
4. Arthritis Gloves- Made of soft breathable cotton lycra, these gloves provide mild compression that warms your hands and helps increase circulation. Open fingertips for full freedom. Wear day or night. For edema, try the Norco Edema Glove that provides compression past your wrist.
5. UpEasy Lifting Cushion – Converts any chair into an automatic lift chair that will lift 80% of your body weight. Adjusts for various weights. Easily transportable with built-in handle.
6. Bamboo Shower Seat and Bath Bench- Its compact triangle shape fits into the shower stall or bathtub and it looks great! Made of eco-friendly bamboo, a 100% renewable resource. Height adjustable, with slip-resistant rubber tipped legs.
7. Light Relief Light Therapy- One of Allegro’s top products for several years now, this light therapy device emits energy in the infrared spectrum to provide topical warmth. A natural alternative to pain medication, the Light Relief eases arthritis pain and stiffness. Includes a travel bag.
8. Thermophore Moist Heat Pack - Moist heat is most often recommended by doctors. Why? Because moisture transfers the high heat deeper into tissues than ordinary dry heat pads providing temporary relief from rheumatic and arthritic pain. Increased blood flow is als a result of moist heat, which can relieve inflamed joints and help maintain flexibility. The heating pad draws moisture from the air and requires no water. Includes soft flannel cover. Also see the highly rated Thermophore Arthritis Pad.
9. Cando Gel Hand Exercise Balls - Recommended for arthritis, these exerise balls are used to help grip, strength, dexterity and mobility, as well as fine and gross motor skills. Can be microwaved or put in the freezer. Very soothing.
10. Spa-N-A-Box Portable Spa – A super economical way to have your own above-ground spa. Soothes arthritis pain for hours. Sets up on about 20 minutes and plugs into a regular household outlet. Put it on your patio, deck, on your boat or even in your c0ndo or apartment! Quiet operation. Seats 4 or 5 people.
BONUS: The Freedom Wand – Toilet Tissue Aid
See hundreds of arthritis products including braces, supports, over-the-counter remedies and medications, daily living aids, bed wedges, pillows, canes and much more in Shop By Condition: Arthritis.
Arthritis is said to be the most common form of disability. But what exactly is arthritis? Well, it’s not just one thing. Arthritis, as a term, encompasses more than 100 medical conditions including back pain, carpal tunnel syndrom, fibromyalgia, gout and lyme disease. The common thread is that all these conditions affect your joints.
Although the most common form of arthritis, osteoarthritis, is prevalent in people over 60, arthritis can start as early as infancy. Tens of millions of adults and hundreds of thousands of children in the U.S. have it.
So, that said, what can you do to ease your pain, joint stiffness and inflmmation? The common theme seems to be warmth, although many swear by glucosamine.
Allegro’s Top 10 Arthritis Products
1. Arthritis Gloves – 4.5 out of 5 stars! Designed to provide mild compression, warmth and increased circulation, this special gloves help relieve aches and pains from arthritis in your hands. Wear them all day and night if you like. Good for cold hands, hand fatigue or other types of hand and wrist pain too.
See All Arthritis Gloves and Hand Warmers.
2. Light Relief Light Therapy - A topical heating device that uses infrared light to create warmth. It’s totally silent and it helps increase circulation and relieve pain and stiffness wherever and whenever you need it. My 95-yr old grammy swears by it. Comes with a money-back guarantee and a 2-year warranty. Oh, and a travel case too.
3. Spa-N-A-Box Portable Spa – How about having a whirlpool spa right in your home? Or on your patio, deck, back yard, or boat? This spa sets up in 20 minutes and provides, you guessed it, warmth for sore joints and chronic pain. Soothe your whole body at a fraction of a cost of other units. Psssst. It’s fun too! See also our new AromaSteam Portable Steam Sauna.
4. Kneed-It Therapeutic Knee Guard - Scientifically designed to relieve minor knee pain associated with arthritis, tendonitis and chondromalacia by placing placing pressure, concentrated compression and warmth across the soft tissue in front of the knee.
See All Knee Straps and Wraps.
5. Flexall 454 Maximum Strength Pain Relieving Gel – One of our customers says he would “have trouble without this product” . Ideal for long-lasting relief of arthritis pain, mustcle strains, sprains, bursitis and tendonitis.
6. Paraffin Bath – Professional Grade Warm Bath Spa - I love using this product. It’s like having a professional spa manicure and pedicure at home. Plus it relieves arthritis pain and stiffness in your hands, feet and elbows. Why? Because paraffin wax has a very high heat capacity and when it coats your limbs, it transfers that heat to you. Pure heaven. Here’s also the Paraffin Heat System.
7. Thermophore Arthritis Pad - It’s the moist heat pad that doctors recommend most. Produces intense moist heat without adding water. The new four-stage therapy switch provides optimum 20-minute treatments. Hands free!
8. Emercen-C Joint Health Formula – Nothing loosens my joints better than glucosamine with chondroitin. I don’t know how it works, but it makes me feel loose as a goose. Without it, I crump up… quick. Stiff back, knees and fingers… My doc says I must have some arthritis in there. Try it for a week and see. See All Glucosamine Products.
9. Biofreeze Roll-On 3 oz. – Squirt it on, right where you need it. Fast relief for arthritis, neck pain, back pain, sore muscles and more. 3 oz roll-on is perfect for travel or the office.
See All Biofreeze Products.
10. Salonpas Pain Relieving Patch - Apply a patch to your neck or shoulders for temporary relief of stiffness and tightness. The active ingredients quickly penetrate into your bloodstream to provide spot on, effective pain relief.
See All Arthritis Products.
So you see, warmth really seems to be the key to loosening those joints and to make you move and feel better. For more information, read “Arthritis Pain – Heat or Ice?”
My friends tease me about my cold hands and feet. I mean, they are sooooo cold! I’ve tried all kinds of things to warm up (even moving from Nebraska to Arizona) but I just seem to run a few degrees south of normal. Yeah, ‘boo hoo’, I know, it’s 70 degrees here in January and I’m complaining.
But no matter where you are in the world, kicking back in your recliner at home or rippin’ gnar pow on your shred sled* in Snow Mass, there are products you may have never imagined, designed to keep you warm and safe in the cold.
Check these out:
Energy Efficient Heaters for Home or Work
Toasty Toes Personal Heater – Deluxe Ergonomic Footrest - use sitting or standing anywhere, anytime. Adjustable angles. Never too hot to touch!
Electric Foot Wamer Mat – great for work! Fits easily under your desk. Waterproof. Quickly dries wet socks, shoes or boots, leaving you dry and warm.
Cozy-Legs Personal Heater – Under Desk Leg Warmer - Mounts to your desk, wall or optional stand. Keeps your legs toasty.
Bed Buddy Heat Therapy Kit - Comes with a sinus pack, hand warmers and foot warmers. Lightly fragranced with eucalyptus, clove and cinnamon. You can buy everything separately. Bed Buddy Back Wrap. All can be used hot or cold. See all Bed Buddy products.
Planes, Trains & Automobiles
Dream Sack Airline Comfort Set - As seen on the Today Show, Wall Street Journal and USA Today. Everything you need to stay warm and cozy on the plane, train, bus or car (no driving with your eye shades on!). Includes a silk blanket, pillowcase, eye shades and a 12″ storage bag. All totaled, weighs less than a pound.
Dream Sack Luxury Travel Kit - You’ll be stylin’ in first class no matter where you’re sitting. Great for your flight or in your hotel room. Includes a silk/cashmere blanket, charmeuse silk eyeshades and an outer bag that reverses to a pillowcase.
Cane Ice Grip – Prevents canes and crutches from slipping on icy and snowy surfaces. Don’t risk a fall! Get one of these. It’s only like, $7 bucks and it could save your life or the life of a loved one. I’m serious. Don’t make me come over there.
Ice-Away Snow and Ice Melt Pad – Much less expensive than embedded systems, this pad prevents show and ice from accumulating outside your door, or wherever you put it. Line your entire sidewalk! Great for home doorway entrances, wheelchair ramps, handicap-accessible structures, loading docks, hospitals, nursing homes, hotels, schools or churches. 36″ x 32″. Plugs into a standard outlet.
IronClad Cold Condition Glove - Cold weather gloves for workers who need a high level of dexterity. Wicks away perspiration, breathable, water and oil resistant, non-slip rubber, machine washable.
Grabber Foot Wamers - 5 hours of air-activated warmth. Case of 30 packs, 2 warmers per pack. Put them in your shoes or boots, use one time and then throw away. These are standard equipment for skiers, snowboarders, hunters, campers, hikers, bird watchers or anyone who likes to do stuff outdoors in the cold. Also great for Arthritis, Raynaud’s, Lupus, Scleroderma, Sjogren’s, Myalgia or just poor circulation.
Grabber Peel-n-Stick Adhesive Body Warmer – Box of 40. A portable heating pad that you wear! Works for 12+ hours. Use for minor aches & pains or for warmth outdoors during sporting activities.
Grabber Hand Warmers - Pack of 40, with 2 per pack. These keep your hands and fingers toasty for more than 10 hours. Just open the packet and put the warmers in your gloves or pocket and they start working in a few minutes. No shaking or kneading required.
Emergency Rescue Blanket – another inexpensive way to save your life. This lightweight blanket should be in every cold-weather car and every backwoods backpack. It was invented for NASA and is used by militaries, search and rescue, and relief agencies worldwide.
I hope you stay warm and toasty until it’s time to stay cool and frosty. I’ll be back in a few months with AllegroMedical.com products to help you chill. You know I will. Until then,
See all Hand Warmers
See all Foot Warmers
See all Heat / Heating Pads
See all Hot/Cold Therapy
*rippin’ gnar pow on your shred sled means that you’re doing really well on difficult runs while riding atop your snowboard device. Gnar pow is gnarly powder. Personally, I’d rather watch ’em carve from my seat atop the bar stool in the lodge. I’m confident that if I tried snowboarding, I’d spend more time on my back side than my feet. Perhaps Grabber makes butt warmers . . . hmmmm . . . an idea . . .
People have a real knack for improvising when it comes to getting things done. Even when we’re weak or disabled we tend to figure out a way to get those cans open, or cut that piece of meat, or finagle those blasted peas into our mouths, even if it means having someone do it for us. We forget though, or maybe don’t even consider, that there are products designed to do nothing more than make you more independent and make your life easier.
AllegroMedical.com carries a huge – and I mean ‘hundreds and hundreds huge’ – inventory of Daily Living Aids designed to help everyone — disabled or not — get things done.
Stop struggling! Check out these nifty kitchen gadgets and eating aids. You might find a product to help you, or someone you love, make life a little easier. Ahhh. . .
New! iTouchless products - Check out these stylish, ‘kitchen-forward’ 21st century gizmos including plastic bag resealers, electronic automatic pepper mill & salt grinder, paper towel dispenser, automatic water dispenser, automatic soap dispenser, recycle bins, trash cans and more. Great gifts.
High Chair with Adjustable Arms - Sit up high while working at the kitchen counter or sink with this adjustable height chair. Weight capacity is 300 lbs.
Jar Openers – I use these all the time. We have a bunch to choose from, including the Hot Hand Protector and Jar Opener. It’s a hot pad that doubles as a jar opener. Neat, huh.
Easy-Grip Knives & Utensils - Perfect for weak hands and wrists. These lightweight, dishwasher safe tools have an ergonimcally angled handle to keep your wrist and hand in a natural position. Besides the knives, we have a grater, utensil rack, carving fork, cheese slicer, spatula and kitchen shears. Get them all!
The Rocking “T” Knife is our most popular rocker knife. It allows easy cutting for people with a weak grasp or the use of only one hand. Get the carrying case so you can take it with you when you eat out.
See more kitchen knives.
Paring Boards galore. There aren’t your everyday paring and cutting boards. Oh no. They have special doo hickies that stick up and hold your food in place so you don’t have to chase it around before you cut it. Some of them even have suction cups on the bottom (so you don’t have to chase the board too!).
Scrub brush for one handed use. It suctions to the counter so you can clean your vegetables, your dishes, your fingernails or even your dentures! Please don’t use the same one to clean everything, though. Please.
Pan Holder - Keep your pans from spinning while you stir with one hand. Folds for easy storage in your drawer.
Push/Pull Helper – If you have arthritic hands or weak hands, or short arms, or a bad back, use this nifty stick to push or pull oven racks or hot dishes. How about using it if you don’t want to get burned? That’s when I would use it.
Folding Shopping Cart – Okay, not technically a kitchen gadget, but they sell like hot cakes. Sturdy, super affordable and cool looking, you’ll whisk goods to and fro for years to come with this baby. Red or black. Get both.
The Scooper Bowls with Suction are our most popular eating aids. They stick to the table like glue and they are curved on the sides to allow you to get the food onto your fork instead of dumping it over the sides. Great for children and adults. See more scoop plates.
Cutlery – From forks to sporks, angled , built-up, left-handed or comfort-grip, we have what it takes to get the food from your plate to your mouth in the most efficient way possible. See all Eating Utensils.
Bibs – Keep your clothes clean with these mealtime protectors. Great for both the eaters and the feeders.
All eating and no drinking makes Jack a dry boy, so don’t forget your drinking aids! Drinking straws, nosey cups, spill-proof Kennedy cups, they’re all here.
Is there someone in your life that could use a little help becoming more independent in the kitchen, or at the dining table? Think about it and have fun poking around our Daily Living Aids sub-categories. There is a LOT to see.
Other than that, I hope you have a fabulous day. Thanks again for being an Allegro customer!
Whether to use heat therapy or cold therapy for arthritis pain depends on the type of arthritis and the type of pain you are experiencing. Since everyone experiences and responds to pain differently, you should discuss a pain management plan with your doctor. You may have to try several things to see what works.
When to Use Ice to Treat Arthritis Pain
According to Dr. Kevin Sperber, Board Certified Pain Management Specialist at Columbia University,
“As a general rule of thumb, ice is best for soft tissue musculoskeletal injuries such as bruises, sprains or acute trauma. Cold therapy may also be beneficial if you experience a flare of pain after activity. Cold acts as an analgesic by numbing the sore area and can also drastically reduce swelling and discomfort.”
Traditionally, doctors recommend cold packs be applied for only 10-20 minutes at a time. With prolonged application of cold you could hurt yourself, especially if you have sensory problems or impaired vascular circulation in your hands and feet.
When to Use Heat to Treat Arthritis Pain
Therapeutic Heat is more commonly recommended for arthritis pain because it relaxes tendons and ligaments thereby increasing flexibility and decreasing pain. Heat also increases blood flow and improves joint range of motion.
So why the debate over hot or cold? Dr. Sperber says that for acute injuries (sprains, strains, etc.) just about everyone recommends ice, but for chronic conditions, like arthritis, both cold and heat can help reduce inflammation, so it may come down to whichever feels better to you.
As for how heat should be used, there are competing problems. The trick is to get enough heat into the tissue, for long enough, without burning your skin. For example, hands heat up fairly easily because the tissue is not “deep”, but for deep tissue pain, in the hip for instance, you may need to apply a lower temperature for a longer time. There are specific products that address these issues and each product comes with recommended time usage guidelines.
Most Popular Cold Therapy Products:
- Frozen Gel Cold Packs. Save your frozen peas and use a pliable, reusable “ice pack” instead. ColPaC makes them in lots of sizes and shapes. Keep ice packs in the freezer and they’ll be ready whenever you have a flare-up. Remember to use layers of dry terry toweling between the cold pack and your skin.
- Biofreeze. This topical pain reliever is highly recommended for temporary relief of arthritis, tendonitis and fybromyalgia. You can order it in a tube, roll-on, spray or gel pump.
Most Popular Hot Therapy Products
- Portable Inflatable Whirlpool Spa. Get the benefits of a hot tub without the expense of installing one. The ultimate in heat therapy, relaxation and pain/stress relief, portable whirlpools are highly recommended by arthritis pain sufferers. They can be placed indoors, outdoors, on your patio, on your deck, in your RV, in your condo or your apartment. We recommend the Spa2Go or the Spa-N-A-Box because they are easy to assemble (20 minutes) and there is no special wiring or plumbing needed.
- Infrared Heat. Sometimes deep penetrating heat is the best thing to reduce your arthritis pain. The Thermotex Infrared Heating Pad TTS Platinum model is the most popular although there are other Thermotex therapy systems available. The TTS Platinum is a nice portable size (17” x 15”) and has adjustable straps so you can fit it comfortably almost anywhere on the body.
- Light Relief Light Therapy. This hand-held device provides topical heating to elevate and/or maintain tissue temperature wherever it is placed. My grandmother uses it to relieve joint pain and she loves it. One of our Allegro customers used it to relieve pain in her dog!
- Paraffin Bath. Dip your hands, feet or elbows in melted paraffin wax and let the intense heat spread through your stiff arthritic joints for fast acting, drug-free therapy. The best one on the market is the Therabath PRO Paraffin Bath. This unit is large enough to accommodate your hands, feet or elbows but small enough to fit on your countertop. It includes hospital grade paraffin with your choice of scents.
* Moist Heat. Arthritic and rheumatic pain is often relieved with moist heat. Moist heat increases blood flow, soothing inflamed joints and increasing flexibility. We suggest the Theratherm Digital Electric Moist Heating Pad, the Thermophore Automatic Moist Heat Pack or the Thermophore Arthritis Pad. There’s also a Therabeads Moist Heat Mitt that you wear on your hands.
- Arthritis Gloves. These specially designed arthritis gloves provide mild compression and warmth for your hands. Heat increases circulation which reduces aches and stiffness. Some people wear them day and night. They have open fingertips so your can feel, touch and grip.
Thousands of Allegro Medical customers have found relief with these products. So can you. Order yours today.
Check out all of our hot/cold therapy products or go to our Arthritis category to see all arthritis products.
12Next Page 1 of 2