Home Tags Posts tagged with "balance products"
As adults age, once simple tasks like sitting, standing, and walking can become more challenging, leading to a reduction in physical activity. Older adults should participate in safe and effective moderate physical activities to achieve an improved quality of life. Sadly, one-third of adults over the age of 50 lack physical activity in their daily lives. 1 Older adults living a sedentary lifestyle have reduced strength and balance which increases risk of falling2. Senior adults, age 65 and older, are at high risk for falls with one out of three seniors falling each year.3 Daily living aids are helpful tools that will keep you safe and moving independently. AllegroMedical.com presents five daily living aids to help you increase physical activity safely.
Movement from a sitting to standing position is an important skill that facilitates independence. Without the ability to perform this basic skill elderly people are at risk for institutionalization due to limitations in performing daily living activities. 4
Using a seat assist such as a lifting cushion to move from a sit to stand position eliminates the need for standing assistance from caregivers. This assistive device removes the possibility of inflicting pain or harm to the individual requiring assistance which can occur during manual assist to stand.5 The UPEASY lifting cushion provides users with a gentle and stable automatic boost when leaning forward preparing for a sit-to-stand movement.
“Recent knee surgery has made rising from seated position difficult. Using the uplift seat assist has made a significant difference. I will likely use the seat assist throughout my recovery and beyond. ” Review by AllegroMedical.com customer Lameduck from Aptos, CA
Since lifting cushions are designed for use only on your chair or sofa a security pole and curve grab bar is another independent living aid that assists with movement from a sitting to standing position. Tension mounted security poles don’t require permanent installation making them a great option for individual changing needs. Simply grasp the curved grab bar to climb up to a standing position.
“Bought this for my mom. She is recovering from a broken hip. We use it in the bathroom to help her with her transfer to a bath bench. It is also used to assist rising from the toilet. I have to be honest, I automatically reach for it , too. I am 61 &; need to protect my back. I care for an 84 year old mom &; a disabled 16 year old daughter. This pole is incredibly sturdy, stable &; easy to install. I can’t find any cons. The price was great.” Review by AllegroMedical.com customer Barb the Builder from DHS, CA
Seniors with sit-to-stand movement issues are less inclined to drive due to the difficulty of exiting the vehicle into a standing position. Losing driving ability for many aging adults decreases independence and fosters a sedentary life style. Leverage support exiting a vehicle by inserting a heavy duty steel Handy Bar into the side door locking mechanism and stand with confidence.
Grab bars are essential daily living aids that provide assistance and added safety for sitting and standing. Suction cup grab bars install without tools or holes and are completely portable. These grab bars are like having an extra hand to help provide support for standing up from the commode, bathtub, or any place extra balance support is needed.
“My father refused to allow us to drill ‘holes’ and screws into the fiberglass shower. These were perfect for our use. I liked the ability to adjust and move them to where they worked best for him. I did have to lean hard onto one wall to get the best suction and securement due to a small wave within the wall. I wish there was something similar to these for dry wall surface walls by the commode. Another area he will not allow us to drill holes into.” Review by AllegroMedical.com customer, Vicster from Danville, Ky
Elderly adults with unstable gait who have experienced falls tend to diminish physical activity such as walking out of fear of falling again. This lack of activity promotes physical weakness and makes the individuals more susceptible to falling. 3
Walking aids such as rollators are safe and effective in helping individuals with unstable gait. 6 Rollators are walkers for indoor or outdoor use with typically four wheels, a seat, and hand brakes and are for people with limited upper body strength. The convenience of the seat allows users experiencing fatigue to rest for a few minutes while walking.
“I am 63 years old. I fell down a flight of stairs and have severe damage to my spine and partial paralysis of my right leg. I was using a standard walker but when I saw this beauty on your web site, I knew that it would work better for me. Standing in line at the market, etc. is just intolerably painful for me. This little beauty helps keep me more independent and able to function. Thank you for offering this little lady.” Review by AllegroMedical.com customer IrishTeaCup from Sunland, CA
Don’t lose your independence. If you have difficulty sitting, standing, or walking, seek the guidance of a physician to see what aids are right for you. Return to AllegroMedical.com for all of your solutions for maintaining an active and self-reliant lifestyle.
1 http://www.cdc.gov/aging/han/health-promotion.htm (10 Strategies…Active Aging)
We watch these amazing athletes like Shaun White, Lindsey Vonn, and Bode Miller tearing up the slopes in the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics and the next thing you know we’re booking a ski vacation.
The Olympics motivate and inspire us. All over the world skiers are opting for black diamonds, baby boomers are trading their skis for snowboards, parents are enrolling their toddlers in ski school and amateurs are attempting the half-pipe. I’m pretty sure hockey tickets just got harder to get too.
Are you looking to step up your game?
Skiers, Snowboarders and Skaters: There are ways to guarantee improved performance on the slopes or the ice! Practice is key, but even if you don’t have a mountain or an ice rink nearby, you can be well-prepared to for your next ski trip with a little homework.
You cannot ski, snowboard or skate well without leg strength and balance. Even if you have strong legs, you are useless without good balance. Put some time and work into it at home and you won’t believe the difference in your agility, ability, control and confidence on the slopes.
Not a skier, snowboarder or skater? Doesn’t matter. Here are 21 Reasons to Improve Your Balance
Balance is the ability to maintain your center of gravity over your base of support. Starting out, you can practice balancing on a flat surface with some static balance exercises. Stand on one foot and lift the opposite leg so your knee is parallel to the ground. Kick that foot out slowly and then bring it back in. Do this on each side until you can do it without falling over. Once you have mastered the static moves you can do more dynamic balance exercises by twisting and rotating with one foot off the ground. This simulates the movements you will make when trying to correct or regain your balance on the snow or ice.
When you feel stable balancing on flat ground, you can advance to balance products. Many start with a simple Balance Disc, but Balance Boardsare the most popular among skiers, skateboarders and snowboarders of all ages.
BEST Balance Products for Skiers, Snowboarders and Skaters
Bongo Board Balance Board – The hottest balance board on the market today.
Indo Board Balance Board Training Package- Includes deck, roller, IndoFlo balance cushion and FREE instructional DVD. Claims to be the easiest model to learn on.
See all Indo Boards
See all Vew-Do Boards
Twist Board - Loosens your knees and waist. Large, stable 17″ base. Can be used with rocker boards for ultimate balance training.
See all Stroops Agility Training
Fitter Classic 16″ Wobble Board – Plastic - Adjusts from basic to advanced with a simple twist. For all ages and skill levels. I like the Wooden Fitter Wobble Board, myself.
See all FitBALL
Airex Balance Pad - Improve your balance while doing your regular workouts. Great for lunges.
See all Airex
Jumbo Balance Dome – Just like the ones in the gym. Large enough for your whole foot. Use upside down or right-side up for two levels of difficulty.
See all SPRI
Serious about skating? Ice skaters and Hockey players will want a Slide Board for off-ice training.
BONUS TIP! You will see a difference in your shock absorption, power transmission and edge control if you add SuperFeet Insoles to your skates or ski boots. Try the hotPINK Cold Weather Insoles for Women or the REDhot Cold Weather Insoles for Men.
Whether the Winter Olympics have you snuggling deeper into the couch or running for the lift lines, we hope you stay healthy and safe. Stay warm with Cold Weather Gear to Warm you Inside and Out. Thanks for being an Allegro customer.
Boost your metabolism and keep those winter pounds at bay with these new dietary and fitness products from AllegroMedical.com. Exercise in the comfort of your home this Fall while getting in the best shape of your life. You’ll make up the cost of a gym membership in no time with these super values, while building an amazing home gym to enjoy for years to come.
New Weight Loss Products
Sunny Indoor Cycling Bike - How nice would it be to have your own indoor bicycle? Pedal away the pounds with this fully loaded workout machine. Fully adjustable seat and handlebars. 26 lb flywheel. Magnetic resistance guarantees smooth and quiet workout .
Magnetic Elliptical Trainer – This deluxe elliptical trainer is the ultimate value in home gym equipment with high-quality features such as large anti-slip platforms, a hand pulse monitoring system and high quality magnetic resistance with 8 levels of workout. You’ll even get an elliptical training monitor to monitor your heartbeat and keep tabs on your time, speed, distance, calories, pulse, IPM and body fat!
See all Sunny Fitness Products
Designer Whey – The Biggest Loser Protein Powder - As used by Al Vincent on “The Biggest Loser”. Packed with vital B Vitamins and Protein, this powder will keep you feeling satisfied and away from fatty snacks.
Optygen HP - This revolutionary formula is the result of human clinical trials and the latest scientific research on increasing endurance and performance. New features include Beta-Alanine as well the most potent Rhodiola available.
Get in shape on the disc! It’s all the rage at gyms across the country. Choose from the Fun Disc, Fit Disc, Trim Disc and Sport Disc and you’ll increase your balance, flexibility and core strength in no time. If you play sports, disc workouts can make a huge improvement in your performance.
Inversion Table - After a stressful day or to relieve sore muscles and back pain, nothing works like an inversion table. Supports up to 300lbs.
Let us help you build an affordable home gym. Shop all Home Fitness Equipment for more ideas. And for all your dietary supplements and weight loss/weight gain products, see our Dietary Products Category. Have a healthy day! And, as always, thanks for your business.
It was HOT in Arizona yesterday. My patio thermometer said 100 degrees at about 4:30pm. Yikes! I’m not ready for summer heat (no one ever is in AZ) but I’m also not ready to start baring my flesh in sleeveless tops and shorts. Are you?
If you’ve been reading my blogs you know that I try to stay fit without a gym membership. I like the freedom and it saves me money. I hike and walk, mostly, but I also do Yoga and Pilates indoors, along with some weight lifting and balance training. Here are a few of my favorite exercise products for the home gym or back yard.
Summer Fitness Products
Bongo Board Balance Board – Our #1 most popular fitness product. Used by snow boarders, skateboarders and anyone who just wants to get strong and have fun! Read 21 Reasons to Improve your Balance.
See All Balance Products
Sunny Elite Eliptical Trainer – A full-on, brand new eliptical trainer in your home for only $365? I’m totally serious. Check it out.
See All Elipticals
Door Gym Upper Body Toner – If you don’t have much money, space or time, this is for you. Oh, and you can’t be more than 200 lbs. With this one low-cost product you can do perfect push-ups, pull-ups, sit ups, dips and crunches.
Fitball Hop Balls – You might think that we only sell these for kids. Not true! If you weigh under 600 lb. then grab a rubber handle and bounce off those love handles. Fun for the whole family.
See All Exercise Rolls & Balls
Thera-Band Resistance Bands – Buy these stretchy fat-melting arm-toning magic tubes by the yard and make them whatever length you want. Each color provides a different resistance level. There are hundreds of exercises you can do. Very popular in gyms. Also available as FitBall Pre-Cut Bands.
See all Exercise Bands & Tubes
ProStretch – Unilateral Calf Stretcher. For stretching your calves (no, not the farm animal kind). This is one of our most popular products. Has been for years. All workouts begin with a stretch. Might as well make it a good one.
See all Stretching Products
Lex Loops Exercise Band – I’ve never used these but they must be good because they’ve been profiled on The View and in Good Housekeeping magazine as a great tool for helping you shed pounds and tone up.
Pedal Exerciser Stationary Bike – It’s only $29.95. Such a great bargain for something that does so much. Must be why it has a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars! You can pedal with your arms or legs, in a seated position. A good workout for all fitness levels ages and abilities. Tension can be controlled to adjust pedaling resistance.
See All Pedlars & Exercisers
AquaBell Travel Weights – Take your dumbbells with you on vacation. That didn’t sound right. Anyway…these hand weights collapse to fit in your suitcase and then you just fill them with water, to whatever level you want, and you have hand weights! Get the Aqua Bell Combo Set complete with ankle weights.
See all Wrist, Ankle & Free Weights
Order today! There’s still time to work off the winter jiggle.
See all Exercise & Fitness Products
My high school reunion is coming up in June. Needless to say I’m a-dither about looking good. Here’s the problem: When I put pressure on myself to lose weight, my body thinks it hears ‘Pack on the pounds!’ and voila, I gain instead.
Ahhh, the brain.
As I am quoted in the May 5, 2009 issue of Woman’s Day Magazine (pg. 118), “I keep losing and gaining the same 10 lbs.” And after recently eating my way through Cabo, New Orleans and New York, I am sitting squarely on top of that 10 lbs.
So, here’s my plan. I’ll focus on ‘not gaining weight’ instead of…dare i say it… losing weight, by June 19th. I’ll use little tricks to get my brain to think I’m just being a good girl, not really trying to lose weight, and I’ll TRICK it into doing my bidding. Diabolical, or merely pathetic? Either way, if I get started not gaining weight now, I should be right where I want to be in 65 days.
My NO GAIN Plan:
- Continue the daily walks, but go faster so… so… I can get to work earlier. Yeah! Jog, walk, jog, walk. I’ll imagine I’m being chased by someone who wants to tickle me. It will improve bladder control. Maybe I’ll take a longer walk too. For my dog’s sake, not mine.
- When I get home from work I’ll relax with “Pilates for Weight Loss”. Only I won’t call it Pilates for Weight Loss. I’ll call it Pilates for People Who Don’t Want to Gain Weight, or better yet Pilates for Calm, Flexible, Happy People. Or something shorter. Todd will do it with me and I’ll pretend it is all for him. That I’m teaching him to relax. Yeah. If I end up looking all lean and cool, so be it.
- Our hikes will become ‘nature hikes’ but they’ll be FAST nature hikes. And I won’t call them hikes. I’ll call them ‘quick walks up and down steep hills’… or maybe something shorter. I’ll concentrate on the flora and fauna of the beautiful desert as I whisk by, calling out each cactus and snake by name.
- I’ll say no to white food. It’s gauche to eat white before memorial day. Vegetables and fruits will be my friend and everything else, merely acquaintances. An apple a day will keep the doctor away. And my Slim Fast lunches? I imbibe strictly for the great taste, efficiency, daily fiber and joys of regularity.
- I’ll take my balance training products outside so I’ll have something to do while becoming one with nature. Who cares if I get a strong core and killer abs in the process? The important thing is that I will be grounded, free of stress and I won’t wobble like a weeble when I’m old. For inspiration I’ll re-read my article 21 Reasons to Improve Your Balance. Break it down, Val… you’re on a roll.
- I’ll hold my hand weights high in the air as I cheer the contestants on American Idol and The Biggest Loser. All in the name of good will and for the sake of the nation. I may even stand up and jump up and down – or perhaps I will fall on the floor into an impromptu push-up.
- I’ll be environmentally friendly and ride my bike to the store. Okay, I probably won’t do this. I’m just saying it is possible… if I had a basket to hold my stuff in.
- Vodka will be the devil, except on weekends when its horns magically vanish and it becomes a garnish for my soda water & limes. And wine, well, wine…. um… hmmm…my beautiful, bountiful wine… I love wine. I’ll drink only one glass of red wine (at a time) and it will be strictly for the heart healthy flavinoids and support of the wine growers.
I seriously think that’s about the best I can do. Too much self-deception can’t be good for the soul right? So, wish me luck and I’ll let you know how it goes. If this doesn’t work I may need to convince myself to GAIN weight before the reunion. A little reverse psychology.
See All Weight Loss Help and Exercise/Fitness Products, sorted by popularity.
Thanks for being an Allegro customer. Don’t forget to become a fan on Facebook! And if you’re reading this, tell me so. I wonder sometimes.
Hopefully you’ve read my blog Hey, you…yeah you…MOVE IT! and you’re ready to start moving and stretching. Check these out:
1. Fitball Exercise Balls – One of our most popular products, these burst-resistant balls are the ones you see in commercial gyms. You can do all kinds of things with this ball, including fall off of it if you’re not careful. Don’t ask me how I know this. For the young at heart (or for a little more stability) consider the FitBALL Hop Balls. With a weight capacity of 600 lbs., who says these are only for kids? There is a lot of bounce in these balls. Is there still some bounce in you? See all Exercise Balls/Rolls.
2. Thera-Band Resistance Bands - Just like the ones in the gym, now you can have your own at home. Pull ‘em, stretch ‘em, take ‘em on a trip. They’ll make your body stronger and more flexible. Plus, they’re inexpensive, fun and durable. See all Exercise Bands – Tubes.
3. Drive Pedal Exerciser Stationary Bike – Okay, I lied. This is not under $20, but it is under $30 and it’s such a great price, I had to include it. Great for arm and leg toning. Sit in a comfortable chair while you exercise! Totally portable – stores under a chair or bed. See all Cycles/Pedlars.
4. FitBALL Balance Disc - Sit on it while at your desk, kneel on it, use it for lunges or simply stand on it and you will be strengthening your core and improving your balance. Best of all, you’ll be moving. See all Balance/Core Products.
5. Digital Speed Jump Rope – Not your ordinary jump rope, oh no. This one counts your calories and tells you how much fat you’ve burned and how long it took. Instant gratification.
6. Thigh Trimmer – Remember these? Well they’re still around and ready to trim you thighs. Go for it! You’ll be able to crack walnuts when you’re done with this thing.
7. Soft Dumbbells - These underarm flab busting chest lifters are the perfect addition to your nightly workout in front of the tv. And they’re soooo cute! 2 lbs each.
8. Hand Grip - One for each hand, these will improve your grip and strengthen your hands. Maybe if you use these your golf club will stop flying away from you. :) See all Hand Exercisers.
9. ProStretch – Unilateral Stretching Device – Relieves tightness and helps prevent injuries. For me, it just feels goooood and keeps me flexible.
10. Lex Loop Exercise Band - No cardio involved. Use these exercise bands to improve your strength and flexibiltiy. Hailed on “The View” and in Good Housekeeping Magazine, they say you can slim down, get stronger and look younger in just twenty minutes a day, three days a week. Sign me up! Includes instructions and exercises.
So there you have it. No excuses to get moving! Get all these things and you’ll have your own home gym! See all Exercise/Fitness for more ideas.
Have a great day. Now, move it!
One thing I know for sure about resolutions is that they don’t work unless you do two things first:
1. Break ‘em down; and
2. Make a plan.
Here’s an example: Let’s say you resolve to be a better athlete, have a better body, or “get stronger” this year. Those alone are not resolutions that will bear fruit. Besides being too vague, they are “results” rather than “actions”. So, let’s break it down and make a plan.
Improving the strength of your “core” – your abdomen and back – will make you stronger and more toned (and make those back problems disappear). Breaking it down even further, if you improve your balance, you’ll strengthen your core and add speed and agility to the equation. So, improving your balance = strengthening your core = having a better, more toned, athletically superior body. See? Now you just need to get a plan. Read up on balance, check out some balance products. Get them. Set aside some time everyday to use them. Believe me, you’ll know when you are improving. You’ll stop falling off the dang balance trainer when you try to stand on it. Before you know it, you’re stronger, you’ve maybe lost some weight, you’re faster and you feel better. If you play sports, you’ll notice a distinct edge over your opponents when it comes to flexibility, agility and speed.
Moving on. Here are some other examples of resolutions that work:
- Lose Weight. If you want the end game to be weight loss, then think about what is causing you to keep the weight on. Break it down and get a plan. Drink a lot of soda pop? Cut it out and replace it with a flavored, unsweetened water. Can’t control your portions? Go on a plan that measures them for you – Jenny Craig or NutriSystem for example. Can’t stop eating sugar? Go without any carbs/sugar for 48 hours and your cravings will be pretty much gone. Then follow a low sugar plan. Research, prepare, plan and do. And one more thing about weight loss… go slow. Lose the first 2 lbs. and go from there. Don’t say “I need to lose 20 lbs, or 50 lbs., or even 10″. Say, “I need to lose 2″… and then 2 more, and then 5 more, etc.
- Get in Shape. Many of you will go out and buy a gym membership in the next couple weeks, thinking that is going to make you get in shape. Not so. Think about who you are and where you are and how you like to spend your time. If there’s a good chance that you won’t get to the gym because of proximity or time constraints, then you’re already doomed. Start simple instead. My gym closed a few years ago and I decided to just work out the old fashioned way at home. I got some hand weights (I use them while watching TV) and some Therabands, a Fitball, some Yoga, Cardio and Pilates gear, along some good walking and hiking shoes and now I can do my routines without worrying about getting to the gym. There are all kinds of exercise/fitness products to use at home. You can even put together your own home gym. The thing is, you have to have a plan. I do a quick 15 minute Yoga routine morning and night and I always take a walk. That is the very least every day. Other than that, I like to do the Pilates mat routines on the weekends along with hiking (or cardio if it’s too cold out). Get a friend or significant other to walk with you. Todd is a great inspiration to me. He pushes me to hike and bike, and I push him to stretch and meditate. What a team.
- Get a Life. If you’re watching too much TV, not expanding your mind or learning, or maybe you’re not socializing enough then you probably should get a life. Break it down. What do you love? What do you watch on TV? These will give you hints as to how you can get a life. If you love to travel then you should plan a trip, learn a language, take classes to prepare for an adventure (SCUBA certification, sailing, trekking). If you love the cooking channel then get your bottom to a cooking class, or take a course online and be a gourmet chef at home. Anything you enjoy thinking about or dreaming of can become part of your world. Want to join a rock band? Get a Wii! Then besides playing the guitar you can fish, drive race cars, play tennis, improve your memory, work out… a million things. Do you love pets? Become a foster parent to your favorite breed or volunteer at an aminal shelter. Love kids? Become a scout leader, a Big Brother or Big Sister, read to kids at the library, rock babies at a local nursery. Want to learn to sew? Check out local classes and get going. Just do it. It’s addictive. I’ve taken classes on caligraphy, stamp making, SCUBA, painting, scrapbooking, sewing, Spanish, Italian, Yoga and more. This year we’re going to take sailing lessons. In Phoenix there are classes and groups for absoultely every interest. If your town doesn’t have a group that you’d like to belong to…start one!
What ever it is that you resolve to do this year, you can do it!! Did you know that spending only an hour per day on something, anything, will make you an “expert” within 2 years? Think what you can get done in just one year.
I hope you have an excellent New Year. Thanks, as always, for being an Allegro customer.
If you have a resolution to share, along with a breakdown and a plan, please leave a comment! Good luck.
Balance products are hot. They work your core, resulting in a stronger, leaner back, abs and & surrounding muscles. All great reasons to improve your balance.
The perks of improved balance don’t stop there, however, and for some the benefits may be even more compelling than a better looking body.
Balance Benefits at a Glance:
Reduced joint pain
Reduced back pain
Higher confidence for sports or daily activities
Faster balance reaction time
Reduced risk of sudden trauma due to improved body awareness
Reduced risk of future injuries
With Better Balance You Can:
1. Develop a killer golf swing
2. Avoid a broken hip
3. Look taller and slimmer
4. Reduce incontinence
5. Walk straighter and more gracefully
6. Ski the blue and black diamonds instead of the green
7. Improve your sex life
8. Have the guts to try something new
9. Greatly improve performance in ALL sports
10. Prevent sports injuries, especially sprains and strains
11. Hold that yoga pose as long as you need to
12. Stay on the mountain when you’re hiking
13. Avoid accidents because you’ll react faster
14. Stop wobbling
15. Pick up your kids without straining your back
16. Look cool when you’re carving on your skateboard, snowboard, long board, surfboard
17. Increase the benefit of and response to your chiropractic visits
18. Be agile
19. Enhance your quality of life
20. Increase your independence
21. Raise your overall level of health
How do Balance Products work?
Balance improvement products are designed with an element of instability to intentionally throw you off balance.
For example, just sitting on a FitBall improves your balance because you use so many muscles to stay seated on the dang thing. You don’t even have to “work out” on it to see results. Sit on it while you’re at your desk at work, or at the dinner table, or watching TV, or scrapbooking, or at your sewing machine. An option to the FitBall is the FitBall Seating Disc, which mimics the FitBall exercise ball, but sits on top of your chair. You can also use it as a balance disc.
Balance Discs sit on the floor, right under your feet or hands while you do squats, lunges or push-ups. They are flat on one side and round, slightly “puffed up” on the other. When you are doing your regular exercises with your hands or feet on the puffy side, you are forced to concentrate on keeping your balance.
The Power Wheel can be used with either your hands or your feet, but it basically challenges your whole body to stabilize while the 14” wheel rolls along the ground.
Balance Pads are square blocks of specialty foam (latex free, anti-fungal, non-absorbing, non-scuff, no-slip) that you stand on while exercising. They are used in mobility training, lower extremity rehab and motor skill training.
Indo Boards - These nifty gizmos are skateboard-shaped wooden boards that you stand on while balancing on top of a roller. I know… Wooohoooo! There are different sizes for different skill levels. The Original Indo Balance Board is super popular with board sport enthusiasts – skateboarders, snowboarders, wakeboarders, kiteboarders and surfers. Indo Boarding is a fun, inexpensive way to get into shape and increase your agility. Recommended for riders ages 4 and up. Totally rad. Makes a great gift.
Don’t like to work out? Well here’s one for you. Stand on a wobble board
while talking on the phone. In no time you’ll have stronger ankles and better balance.
We sell a ton of foam rollers. They are cylindrical pieces of high density foam consisting of millions of tiny cells that bounce back when you press on them, or lay on them. Rollers are super popular and are used mainly for balance training, Pilates and self-massage. There are books and videos full of foam roller uses, but basically you sit or stand on them while doing a variety of exercises. They come in all shapes and sizes, including “half rounds” for starting your balance program. You can even get kits with various sizes included.
We also have Rocker Boards, a Core Board, Twist Boards, Balance Trainers, Balance Beams, Balance Domes, Rotational Flexors and Multi-Balance Boards and more in our Shop by Condition: Balance/Core Stability area of the site.
Okay, so why buy a special product to improve your balance when you could just stand on one leg with your eyes closed? Why not just walk along the backs of park benches or hop across fence posts or slide down a banister in your socks? Wellllllllll, you could get really hurt for one thing. Okay, then, just stand on one leg with your eyes closed! Go for it. But if you invest in one or two simple balance tools, you can do a full range of exercises, have fun and get balanced at the same time.
Balance and Sports
Improving your balance and stability will directly impact all of your daily activities, especially sports. Athletes incorporate balance and agility training into their daily workouts.
Kids benefit from better balance too. Throw a few fun balance routines into your children’s daily activities and they will quickly get a leg up in their sports performance and confidence, from a very early age. For example, have them play a game of catch while balancing on one foot. Or have them close their eyes, stand on one foot and bend down to touch the ground with one finger. Or you could always get them an Indo Board.
Balance is the basic skill needed for practically every sport. Athletes often do balance training when they are recovering from injuries, but as every good coach knows, balance training is just as effective in preventing injuries.
Why is balance in sports so important? From soccer to snowboarding to tennis, changing your center of gravity to match your moves is the key to efficiency. Better balance improves agility, which allows you to move gracefully, wasting little motion. No matter what activity you are into – dancing, hiking, football, sailing, gymnastics, kayaking, skateboarding, rowing, martial arts, yoga or ballet – you are better off balanced.
Do’s & Don’ts
Don’t expect it to work overnight. Balance takes time.
Don’t worry about looking like a dork while you’re practicing. Just have a laugh. Work out your heart and abs.
Do lower-body exercises that increase muscle strength in your knees, thighs, hips, etc.
Do start now. Better balance is important no matter what your age.