Calmoseptine Ointment - 4 oz tube
- Contains calamine, zinc oxide, menthol and lanolin
- For temporary relief of discomfort and itching
- Helps to protect and heal skin irritations
- Provides multipurpose moisture barrier
Calmoseptine Ointment helps to protect and heal skin irritations from feeding tube leakage, incontinence of urine or feces, minor burns, scrapes, diaper rash or wound drainage, fecal or vaginal fistulas, and moisture such as perspiration. Temporarily relieves discomfort and itching. Provides a multipurpose moisture barrier. Contains calamine, zinc oxide, menthol and lanolin.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE OF CALMOSEPTINE OINTMENT
1. Gently clean the skin with a mild skin cleanser and/or water.
2. Rinse with clean water.
3. Pat the area dry with a clean towel or gauze.
4. Apply a small amount of Calmoseptine Ointment to cover the area completely.
5. Repeat after each bowel movement or when skin becomes wet with urine or drainage. It is not necessary to remove all of the Calmoseptine when soiling occurs. Simply cleanse soiled area and reapply the Calmoseptine where needed to provide complete protection.
1. Gently cleanse area with normal saline, mild skin cleanser or soap and water.
2. Apply a thin layer of Calmoseptine to the skin around the tube.
3. If necessary to control drainage and protect clothing, cover the ointment with a drain sponge or other dressing.
4. Twice a day application is usually sufficient. If the dressing becomes saturated, it should be replaced more frequently, not reinforced. A thick dressing holds the drainage against the skin and can make the problem worse.
5. It is not necessary to remove all of the Calmoseptine with each dressing change. Simply wipe drainage away and reapply Calmoseptine and dressing.
1. Cleanse area gently and pat or air dry. It is very important that the area is thoroughly dry.
2. Apply a small amount of Calmoseptine Ointment.
3. Spread thinly and rub in well.
4. Reapply once or twice daily.
1. Remove dressing and cleanse the wound as ordered. Use wound care solution to also cleanse drainage from the skin surrounding the wound.
2. Apply a thin layer of Calmoseptine to skin surrounding the wound.
3. Cover the wound and wound edges with an appropriate dressing.
Note: Tape will not adhere to areas covered with Calmoseptine so dressing must extend beyond those areas.
Using stoma powder (i.e.: Convatec Stomahesive® Powder, Hollister Premium® Powder) or karaya powder with Calmoseptine Ointment can help it adhere to weepy and denuded areas. This forms a very protective, somewhat absorbent barrier.
1. Cleanse the area using normal saline or wound cleanser.
2. Very gently pat the area dry with sterile gauze.
3. Apply a light dusting of stoma or karaya powder to the denuded area. This creates a dry surface to help the Calmoseptine stick to the wound. Gently dust off excess powder.
4. Gently place a layer of Calmoseptine Ointment over the powdered area.
5. Apply another light coating of the powder over the Calmoseptine Ointment.
6. It may be necessary to repeat, adding another layer of Calmoseptine and powder in order to entirely cover the wound.
7. Repeat after each bowel movement or diaper or dressing change. As in above applications, it is not necessary or advisable to remove all of the Calmoseptine each time. Simply cleanse the surface and reapply the ointment where necessary.
It is not usually necessary to entirely remove Calmoseptine Ointment from the skin. Any soiled areas can be cleansed of soil leaving a thin layer of ointment. More Calmoseptine Ointment is then applied only where necessary. This minimizes trauma to the skin from friction during cleansing.
If it is necessary to thoroughly cleanse the ointment from the skin, Calmoseptine Ointment can be removed by wiping with a clean dry cloth or gauze. Skin or wound cleansers with surfactants may also be used.
If skin is tender or fragile, or if stoma powder has been used and the ointment is crusted, patting or rubbing with oil (mineral, vegetable, or baby oil) will soften the ointment for easier removal. Any residual can then be removed with soap and water or a skin or wound cleanser.
Hollister Premium® is a registered trademark of Hollister Incorporated