Home Tags Posts tagged with "Weight Loss"
Proper nutrition isn’t always easy to maintain, even if you are eatin’ your greens. But it is more important than you might imagine when it comes to feeling energized and focused.
Kids and adults alike – especially those with dietary restrictions, illness, disease, high stress or activity levels or just plain busy lives – often need to supplement or completely rely on nutritional drinks to fulfill their daily requirements of vitamins, minerals, protein and calories.
Allegro has long been a source of the most popular dietary supplements for adult and child nutrition. Can we help you or your loved ones and patients maintain healthy nutrition?
Boost Plus Nutritional Energy Drink
Shop all Boost
Shop all Nestle Clinical Nutrition
Shop all Adult Nutrition
MET-Rx ProteinPlus Protein Bars – Chocolate Fudge
Shop all MET-Rx
Shop all Protein and Power Bars
Carnation Instant Breakfast – Lactose Free Plus
Shop all Carnation Instant Breakfast
Shop all Child Nutrition
Shop all Nutren Dietary Supplements
Shop all Enteral Feeding
Pregestimil Lipil Powdered Infant Formula
Shop all Mead Johnson
Shop all Infant Formula
Shop all Abbott Nutrition
Shop all Metabolic Products
UtraMet Original – Low Carb Meal Replacement
Shop all Champion Nutrition
Shop all Meal Replacements
Designer Whey Protein Supplement
Shop all Next Proteins
Shop all Protein Supplements
Mass Cycle – Extreme Bulking Agent
Shop all Fizogen
Shop all Sports Performance
Only One – Probiotic Multivitamin Tabs
Shop all New Chapter Organics
Shop all Vitamins
Designer Whey – The Biggest Loser Protein Powder
Jillian Michaels Maximum Strength Fat Burner
Shop all Jillian Michaels
Shop all Weight Loss
Scandishake 600 Calorie Weight Gainer
Shop all Weight Gainers
Simply Thick Honey Beverage Thickener
Shop all SimplyThick
Shop all Food Thickeners
Whatever your goal or resolution, January 1st or year-round, sheer determination is not generally enough to ensure your success. What keeps most people from realizing their dreams is not determination or willpower. It is lack of definition and planning. The secret to reaching your goals is in the numbers. You need to do the math. Even if you’re too pretty to do math you can manage this strategy.
Here’s How to Make Your Resolutions Work:
* Clearly define your goal and divide it into measurable, achievable increments. Write it down. Keep it simple. Every goal has metrics that can be measured. Let’s say you want to look better in your jeans. Well, this could mean you need to lose weight, gain weight, buy new jeans, firm up your fanny – whatever. Let’s take the weight loss route for this example. First, decide exactly how much weight you need to lose. Let’s say 15 lbs.
* Set deadlines. A critical part of success is setting a reasonable deadline. In this case, figure it will take you 15 to 30 weeks to lose 15 lbs. at a healthy 1 to 2 lbs a week. Mark the calendar. Record your current weight. Check out one of the free web applications to get started plotting your strategy. I use http://www.fitday.com.
* Research. Set out your plan in detail. Research the best way to reach your goal. Make notes. Get into it. For weight loss, use the web, your doctor or your local bookstore to help find a sensible plan that will allow you to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week. I suggest Weight Watchers because they are all about the numbers and support. Please avoid fads or schemes, no matter what your goal.
* Don’t Delay. Excuses will sabotage you. Don’t wait to start your plan. If you must delay, plot your course accordingly and follow it to the letter.
* Stay on Track. Monitor. Record. Monitor. Record. Adjust if necessary, but don’t give up. For weight loss, keep a food log (again, I use fitday.com). There are lots of ways to monitor weight loss, calories, inches, fat ratios. Suggestions: Bodyfat Analyzer, Pedometer, Flexible Tape Measure, Scale, Digital Scale, Talking Scale and Dial Scale.
* Stay Motivated. Make your goals and progress visible to help you remain committed and motivated. Mark your calendar and put it on the fridge with your ‘before’ picture. Remind yourself of the goal and say it out loud frequently. Let your family and friends in on your plight so they can help keep you honest.
* Reward yourself. Along the way, and at the end, be sure to reward yourself for success. How about a new pair of jeans at your goal weight, plus little rewards along the way. No hot fudge sundaes! . . .
This goal keeping technique can be used for anything you want to conquer, learn or accomplish. From learning to paint to getting a job to saving money. You just have to plot your strategy and monitor your progress through numbers, dates, deadlines.
Helpful health monitors and aids:
Track your blood pressure and cholesterol with the Cholestrak Test Kit, Resperate BP Reducer, Automatic Wrist Digital Blood Pressure Monitor, or Talking Blood Pressure Monitor.
Protect your family with a Smoke Detector w/Strobe & Battery Backup or Carbon Monoxide Detector w/Strobe.
Rest easier with a Better Sleep Pillow, Sleepmatterzzz Pillow, D-Core Pillow or Butterfly Pillow.
Be on time with the Sonic Bomb Alarm, Sonic Boom Alarm or SunRise Alarm Clock.
Success is yours if you just do the math and stick to the plan.
Congrats! You made it through the holidays, but did your workout schedule? If you’re like me, you’ve been lifting (your fork), running (the dishwasher), and jumping (for joy) but that’s the extent of it. Now it’s time to focus on YOU and what you can do to improve your health and stay motivated in the year ahead.
Start with a quick assessment of your home exercise gear and then take a look at these home fitness and exercise products to see what gets you excited.
Here’s the trick to buying fitness equipment . . . If you can imagine yourself using it more than once, and it works with your budget, then it should go in your shopping cart. If not, look at the next one on the list. Try to think outside the box! A few new items might just spice up your workout and keep you motivated.
10 New Exercise and Fitness Products for Your Home Gym
Door Gym Upper Body Toner – Use for push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups for a total body workout. The Door Gym strengthens and tones your chest, arms, shoulders, back and abs. Attaches and removes from the door frame in seconds.
Fun Disc Balance Disc – Improves your coordination and core strength. Great for children and beginners.
See all Balance and Core Strength Products
Twist Stepper with Handle Bar – Works deep muscles without putting extreme pressure on your bones and joints. The LCD computer function tracks and counts time and calories. Adjustable stepping height.
See all Steppers and Climbers
Sunny Elite Elliptical Trainer – The top of the line elliptical machine. 8 workout levels, hand pulse monitoring, large LCD, oversized pedals. Super value priced plus Free shipping!
See all Elipticals
Mini Stepper Exerciser – The Wall Street Journal calls it the “Best Value Mini Stepper”. This compact, sturdy step machine is ideal for toning your waist, calves, hips and thighs. Built-in digital computer calculates time and steps. Batteries included.
bodyLOGIC Body Fat Analyzer– Keep your health in check with this non-invasive body fat estimator from Omron. Provides body fat and percentage and body fat weight in just 7 seconds! Memory stores up to 9 personal profiles.
See all Health Monitors
Mini Calorie Pedometer – Counts steps and laps to help monitor your workout. Tracks distance in miles or kilometers. Real time clock setting. Clips to your waist band or belt.
SPRI Weighted Vest – 2o lbs – Lose weight faster by burning more calories per workout with this simple-to-use, adjustable-weight weighted walking vest. Shape Magazine calls it a “must have fitness product”.
See all Fitness Accessories
Deluxe Vinyl Dumbbells – These handy hand weights come in ‘pairs’ and they’re just like the ones at the gym. Choose from 2 lbs to 15 lbs or get them all! Store your dumbbells in a Premium Dumbbell Weight Rack or an Economy Dumbbell Weight Rack.
See all Wrist, Ankle and Free Weights
Kettlebells – Used by celebrities, supermodels and athletes, these dumbbell alternatives will make your workouts more challenging while increasing muscle endurance, losing fat and building size and strength. The off-centered weight forces you to use more stabilizer muscles and work the targeted muscles through a longer range of motion.
Bonus Fitness Product
25lb Adjustable Chrome Dumbbell – Why have a room full of weights when this dumbbell adjusts in weight from 3 lbs to 25 lbs! Includes plastic stand.
See Allegro’s most popular Exercise and Fitness Products
See Allegro’s Weight Loss Products
Thanks for your business. It means a lot to us. Stay healthy!
Boost your metabolism and keep those winter pounds at bay with these new dietary and fitness products from AllegroMedical.com. Exercise in the comfort of your home this Fall while getting in the best shape of your life. You’ll make up the cost of a gym membership in no time with these super values, while building an amazing home gym to enjoy for years to come.
New Weight Loss Products
Sunny Indoor Cycling Bike – How nice would it be to have your own indoor bicycle? Pedal away the pounds with this fully loaded workout machine. Fully adjustable seat and handlebars. 26 lb flywheel. Magnetic resistance guarantees smooth and quiet workout .
Magnetic Elliptical Trainer – This deluxe elliptical trainer is the ultimate value in home gym equipment with high-quality features such as large anti-slip platforms, a hand pulse monitoring system and high quality magnetic resistance with 8 levels of workout. You’ll even get an elliptical training monitor to monitor your heartbeat and keep tabs on your time, speed, distance, calories, pulse, IPM and body fat!
See all Sunny Fitness Products
Designer Whey – The Biggest Loser Protein Powder – As used by Al Vincent on “The Biggest Loser”. Packed with vital B Vitamins and Protein, this powder will keep you feeling satisfied and away from fatty snacks.
Optygen HP – This revolutionary formula is the result of human clinical trials and the latest scientific research on increasing endurance and performance. New features include Beta-Alanine as well the most potent Rhodiola available.
Get in shape on the disc! It’s all the rage at gyms across the country. Choose from the Fun Disc, Fit Disc, Trim Disc and Sport Disc and you’ll increase your balance, flexibility and core strength in no time. If you play sports, disc workouts can make a huge improvement in your performance.
Inversion Table – After a stressful day or to relieve sore muscles and back pain, nothing works like an inversion table. Supports up to 300lbs.
Let us help you build an affordable home gym. Shop all Home Fitness Equipment for more ideas. And for all your dietary supplements and weight loss/weight gain products, see our Dietary Products Category. Have a healthy day! And, as always, thanks for your business.
My high school reunion is coming up in June. Needless to say I’m a-dither about looking good. Here’s the problem: When I put pressure on myself to lose weight, my body thinks it hears ‘Pack on the pounds!’ and voila, I gain instead.
Ahhh, the brain.
As I am quoted in the May 5, 2009 issue of Woman’s Day Magazine (pg. 118), “I keep losing and gaining the same 10 lbs.” And after recently eating my way through Cabo, New Orleans and New York, I am sitting squarely on top of that 10 lbs.
So, here’s my plan. I’ll focus on ‘not gaining weight’ instead of…dare i say it… losing weight, by June 19th. I’ll use little tricks to get my brain to think I’m just being a good girl, not really trying to lose weight, and I’ll TRICK it into doing my bidding. Diabolical, or merely pathetic? Either way, if I get started not gaining weight now, I should be right where I want to be in 65 days.
My NO GAIN Plan:
- Continue the daily walks, but go faster so… so… I can get to work earlier. Yeah! Jog, walk, jog, walk. I’ll imagine I’m being chased by someone who wants to tickle me. It will improve bladder control. Maybe I’ll take a longer walk too. For my dog’s sake, not mine.
- When I get home from work I’ll relax with “Pilates for Weight Loss”. Only I won’t call it Pilates for Weight Loss. I’ll call it Pilates for People Who Don’t Want to Gain Weight, or better yet Pilates for Calm, Flexible, Happy People. Or something shorter. Todd will do it with me and I’ll pretend it is all for him. That I’m teaching him to relax. Yeah. If I end up looking all lean and cool, so be it.
- Our hikes will become ‘nature hikes’ but they’ll be FAST nature hikes. And I won’t call them hikes. I’ll call them ‘quick walks up and down steep hills’… or maybe something shorter. I’ll concentrate on the flora and fauna of the beautiful desert as I whisk by, calling out each cactus and snake by name.
- I’ll say no to white food. It’s gauche to eat white before memorial day. Vegetables and fruits will be my friend and everything else, merely acquaintances. An apple a day will keep the doctor away. And my Slim Fast lunches? I imbibe strictly for the great taste, efficiency, daily fiber and joys of regularity.
- I’ll take my balance training products outside so I’ll have something to do while becoming one with nature. Who cares if I get a strong core and killer abs in the process? The important thing is that I will be grounded, free of stress and I won’t wobble like a weeble when I’m old. For inspiration I’ll re-read my article 21 Reasons to Improve Your Balance. Break it down, Val… you’re on a roll.
- I’ll hold my hand weights high in the air as I cheer the contestants on American Idol and The Biggest Loser. All in the name of good will and for the sake of the nation. I may even stand up and jump up and down – or perhaps I will fall on the floor into an impromptu push-up.
- I’ll be environmentally friendly and ride my bike to the store. Okay, I probably won’t do this. I’m just saying it is possible… if I had a basket to hold my stuff in.
- Vodka will be the devil, except on weekends when its horns magically vanish and it becomes a garnish for my soda water & limes. And wine, well, wine…. um… hmmm…my beautiful, bountiful wine… I love wine. I’ll drink only one glass of red wine (at a time) and it will be strictly for the heart healthy flavinoids and support of the wine growers.
I seriously think that’s about the best I can do. Too much self-deception can’t be good for the soul right? So, wish me luck and I’ll let you know how it goes. If this doesn’t work I may need to convince myself to GAIN weight before the reunion. A little reverse psychology.
See All Weight Loss Help and Exercise/Fitness Products, sorted by popularity.
Thanks for being an Allegro customer. Don’t forget to become a fan on Facebook! And if you’re reading this, tell me so. I wonder sometimes.
Hopefully you’ve read my blog Hey, you…yeah you…MOVE IT! and you’re ready to start moving and stretching. Check these out:
1. Fitball Exercise Balls – One of our most popular products, these burst-resistant balls are the ones you see in commercial gyms. You can do all kinds of things with this ball, including fall off of it if you’re not careful. Don’t ask me how I know this. For the young at heart (or for a little more stability) consider the FitBALL Hop Balls. With a weight capacity of 600 lbs., who says these are only for kids? There is a lot of bounce in these balls. Is there still some bounce in you? See all Exercise Balls/Rolls.
2. Thera-Band Resistance Bands – Just like the ones in the gym, now you can have your own at home. Pull ’em, stretch ’em, take ’em on a trip. They’ll make your body stronger and more flexible. Plus, they’re inexpensive, fun and durable. See all Exercise Bands – Tubes.
3. Drive Pedal Exerciser Stationary Bike – Okay, I lied. This is not under $20, but it is under $30 and it’s such a great price, I had to include it. Great for arm and leg toning. Sit in a comfortable chair while you exercise! Totally portable – stores under a chair or bed. See all Cycles/Pedlars.
4. FitBALL Balance Disc – Sit on it while at your desk, kneel on it, use it for lunges or simply stand on it and you will be strengthening your core and improving your balance. Best of all, you’ll be moving. See all Balance/Core Products.
5. Digital Speed Jump Rope – Not your ordinary jump rope, oh no. This one counts your calories and tells you how much fat you’ve burned and how long it took. Instant gratification.
6. Thigh Trimmer – Remember these? Well they’re still around and ready to trim you thighs. Go for it! You’ll be able to crack walnuts when you’re done with this thing.
7. Soft Dumbbells – These underarm flab busting chest lifters are the perfect addition to your nightly workout in front of the tv. And they’re soooo cute! 2 lbs each.
8. Hand Grip – One for each hand, these will improve your grip and strengthen your hands. Maybe if you use these your golf club will stop flying away from you. See all Hand Exercisers.
9. ProStretch – Unilateral Stretching Device – Relieves tightness and helps prevent injuries. For me, it just feels goooood and keeps me flexible.
10. Lex Loop Exercise Band – No cardio involved. Use these exercise bands to improve your strength and flexibiltiy. Hailed on “The View” and in Good Housekeeping Magazine, they say you can slim down, get stronger and look younger in just twenty minutes a day, three days a week. Sign me up! Includes instructions and exercises.
So there you have it. No excuses to get moving! Get all these things and you’ll have your own home gym! See all Exercise/Fitness for more ideas.
Have a great day. Now, move it!
Here is a summary of “Risk Factors for Heart Disease” from the American Heart Association:
* Diabetes Mellitus – At least 65% of people with diabetes mellitus die of some form of heart or blood vessel disease. Let Allegro help manage your diabetes with low cost Diabetes Supplies.
* High Blood Cholesterol and Other Lipids – High-density lipoprotein (HDL) or “good” cholesterol levels of less than 40mg/dL are associated with a higher risk of coronary heart disease. Determine your cholesterol quickly and easily with a Home Cholesterol Test Kit.
* High Blood Pressure – About 69% of people who have a first heart attack, 77% who have a first stroke and 74% who have Congestive Heart Failure have blood pressure higher than 140/90 mm Hg. Do you know your blood pressure? Take it anytime, anywhere with your own blood pressure monitor.
* Metabolic Syndrome – Defined as having three or more of the following abnormalities:
– Waist circumference greater than 102 cm (40 inches) in men and 88 cm (35 inches) in women.
– Triglyceride level of 150 mg/dL or higher.
– High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol level less than 40 mg/dL in men and 50 mg/dL in women.
– Blood pressure of 130/85 mm Hg or higher or drug treatment for hypertension.
– Fasting plasma glucose level of 100 mg/dL or higher.
Men and women with the MetS were approximately 1.5 and 2 times more likely to develop CHD. Among the components of MetS, elevated blood cholesterol and low levels of HDL cholesterol exhibited the strongest associations with CHD. Similar associations were found between the MetS and incident ischemic stroke.
* Overweight and Obesity – You are considered overweight if your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 25 and higher. You are considered obese if your BMI is 30 and higher. Get weight loss help!
* Physical Inactivity – The relative risk of coronary heart disease associated with physical inactivity ranges from 1.5 to 2.4, an increase in risk comparable to that for high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure or cigarette smoking. Get your heart pumping with these popular exercise/fitness products.
* Tobacco – a whole lot of bad news for smokers and those exposed to second-hand smoke:
– From 1997-2001, an estimated 438,000 Americans died each year of smoking-related illnesses; 34.7 percent of these deaths were cardiovascular-related.
– An estimated 35,052 nonsmokers die from coronary heart disease (CHD) each year as a result of exposure to environmental tobacco smoke.
– One-third of those who receive percutaneous coronary artery vascularization are current smokers, and 50-60 percent continue to smoke after the procedure.
– Cigarette smoking remains a major cause of stroke in the United States. The evidence is sufficient to infer a causal relationship between smoking and subclinical atherosclerosis.
– There’s hope yet: The 2004 Health Consequences of Smoking Report of the Surgeon General states that the risk of stroke decreases steadily after you quit smoking. Former smokers have the same risk as nonsmokers after five to 15 years.
– A study of women below age 44 found there was a strong dose-relationship for MI, with a risk of 2.5 for those smoking one to five cigarettes per day, rising to 74.6 for those smoking more than 40 cigarettes per day, compared with nonsmokers. – Another study on female smokers found the highest risk (6.8) for MI was in women younger than 55 years of age.
If you are at risk for heart disease or stroke, know that there are ways to manage these risk factors. Please talk to you doctor about your concerns.
Educate yourself and spread the word to your friends and family! Read Staggering Heart Facts, Heart Attack/Stroke Warning Signs: Men vs. Women and CPR Myths, Tips & Updates.